Tuesday, December 1, 2009

$1 Million Dollar Donation

A lot of people are celebrating because Perry's recent donation to the NAACP. True, donors have contributed to the NAACP for many years, but Tyler Perry is celebrated because his donation is the largest single donation the organization has ever received.
Some may wonder why I chose to write this particular blog because it is a little different than the norm. I chose to write this blog because I think Perry's donation illustrates his commitment to Christ. I note this because I recently had a conversation with someone who said she would be surprised if Tyler Perry entered heaven because his movies and plays are just sinful. Yes, I laughed.
Tyler has noted in the past that he like to give back to the community because he is appreciative of how God has given him so much. As I reflect on the fact that he likes to give back to the community or those less fortunate, I cannot help but think of Jesus' comments in Matthew 25:35-36 where he states, "for i was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me." At the end of the day, Perry's generous donation will advance a lot of people. Without a doubt, God smiles whenever we step outside of our self zones and attempt to make other people's lives better. Will Perry's donation get him into heaven? No. But I do think his donation to the poor reflects what's in his heart, which is what Jesus is most concerned about.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment