Thursday, November 19, 2009

Theology of Tyler Perry

I am excited to announce that I recently started a new sermon series entitled "Cues from the Culture: The Theology of Tyler Perry." Now, I will admit I have received much criticism from both young and old for titling a series after the work of Tyler Perry. My own grandmother even disagreed with this series on the basis that some of the things which take place in his movies and plays such as cursing, promoting drug use, random acts of violence, etc. should automatically disqualify his projects from any religious association. I, on the other hand, think his work is, in many ways, an accurate reflection of the complexities of life, both Christian and non-Christian. The reality is we all know a Joe (Madea's brother) who still likes to smoke weed; we know an old person (Madea) who constantly threatens everyone, but really wouldn't hurt a fly and would help anyone who asks;we all can identify with someone in House of Payne; we know women who are/have been abused: verbally, physically, and emotionally. Nevertheless, in the midst of it all, we still experience God, the power of Scripture, and the relevance of the Church. Is this sermon series radical? Jesus wouldn't think so because he used a plethora of cultural cues to reveal lessons about God and life. With that as a model, I do believe this series will enrich each of us grow as we mature in our knowledge of God and self. Please be on the lookout for my next post.
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment